Premium Daily Crypto NewsletterApril 30, 2018
Watch this video to see how to use this newsletter. Click the square in the lower right to expand the view.
Check Out Doc's Trading Book
Have You Read Our Free Ebook?
Crypto Market Commentary
Markets Take One Step Backwards
We Will Recover
Today had us testing our monthly high of 440 Billion before we had some sharp corrections similar to what we saw last Tuesday.
While the market did start to make some positive movement in the later hours, we are seeing another sharp correction at the time of writing due to comment made by US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Commissioner Robert Jackson regarding Initial Coin Offerings (ICO) in an interview on CNBC today.
The SEC is largely seen as one of the most crucial Federal organizations that will decide cryptocurrency’s fate within the US and likely aboard as well as countries follow the United State’s lead.
Jackson said that he hasn’t yet seen an ICO that wasn’t a security, which echoes SEC chairman Jay Clayton’s comments earlier this year.
“Investors are having a hard time telling the difference between investments and fraud.” Jackson said. “If you want to know what our markets would look like with no securities regulation, what it would look like if the SEC didn’t do its job? The answer is the ICO market.”
Meanwhile, EOS had a particularly bad day as LianAn Tech has identified a critical vulnerability embedded in the EOS smart contract architecture. The vulnerability, as described, is remarkably similar to the ‘batchOverflow’ and ‘proxyOverflow’ bugs that lead to the suspension of trading and withdrawals of all ERC-20 tokens across most major exchanges last week.
Dan Larimer, CTO of EOS, was quick to fire back. He claims that this “vulnerability” has nothing to do with EOS or its architecture, but instead how smart contracts are coded on the EOS platform. Essentially, EOS can’t be held responsible for bad code that developers using the EOS platform write. Dan accused LianAn Tech of irresponsible reporting, and he has the right to be upset given that EOS lost more the 3 Billion in market cap today.
Now, with regard to the batchOverflow and proxyOverflow bugs in at least a dozen poorly-implemented ERC20 tokens, crypto exchange Binance has had all its listed ERC20 tokens checked for the bugs by smart contract auditing company Quantstamp. This suggests that moving forward, the industry will be implementing practices such as these as the best practices to prevent claims of vulnerability or a cease of trading, as we saw.
Things haven’t been all bad for Ethereum, however. Just today Vitalik Buterin, founder of Ethereum, tweeted out that “sharding is coming”.
Essentially, Sharding facilitates faster transactions on the Ethereum network because not all transactions are distributed to every single node on the network.
Rather, information is relayed inside of a piece, or “shard”, of the network.
This is one proposed scaling solution which would increase transaction throughput, allowing Ethereum to better handle load from the ever-increasing demand of its network.
Sharding is just one of the exciting new developments in the works for Ethereum. Casper, Plasma, and sidechain DApps (loom) are all in the works and will help to take Ethereum to the next level which is certainly needed given the ever-increasing amount of competitors.
One such competitor, Waves, a blockchain-based token creation platform, announced its launch of smart contracts on the Waves Testnet.
“It’s really important to do this right. Non-Turing complete contracts will cover a large proportion of use cases, including smart accounts and smart tokens. These will be available from the Waves client for all users and will not require any specialist knowledge or expertise.”
– Waves CEO and Founder Alexander Ivanov
As we’ve said multiple times, investing in platforms as your core positions is very smart and gives you a degree of certainty within a space that is changing every day.
For example, look at what the top 10 by market cap were 5 years ago. It will be interesting to see which of today’s top 10 will still be there 5 years from now.
Talk to you this week.
New to Cryptocurrencies? Check out our archived classes “Intro to Cryptocurrency Trading”, “How to Find Your Next Big Cryptocurrency: Intro to Fundamental Analysis” and Doc’s new one, “Introduction to Technical Analysis” which are now all available for immediate purchase/viewing in the Premium Member’s Home. View more about them at our online store by CLICKING HERE.
Missed our recent webinar on Wallets and Security? You can listen to it in the Member’s Area or here. The new “Security and Wallets” class is now available in our “Store” at the top of this page, use the coupon below for a $10 discount.
We’ve been nominated for an award! We’d really appreciate if you voted for us here under the “Best Video Production” award! Thanks!
If you go to buy any of our courses at our online “store” you can receive $10 off the street price with your member’s “coupon code” of member18crypto
Offense – Adding Trades
Offensive Actions for the next trading day:
Defense – Managing Risk
Defensive Actions for the next trading day:
How to read this portfolio: Please click on the Chart Key tab above for definitions and color codes. The colors correspond to our 7 categories in the graphic below.
ReadySetCrypto’s 7 Categories Of CryptoCurrency
Tier 1 coins are those coins which we have considerable assets invested, are firm believers in the project direction and execution, and have very little reason to sell within short to mid term. These are coins which we risk evaluated to be very solid, and have a high probability of existence duration.
NEO ($NEO) is classified as a Dividend and Platform coin. As our largest holding, we believe NEO has the potential to become a dominant smart contract and DApp platform in 2018. It’s four most compelling features are:
- An innovative consensus algorithm which will allow for greater TPS (transactions per second) over its competitors.
- A dividend structure for holders, incentivizing coin retention and network stability / diversity.
- SE Asia location, enabling NEO to break into markets more easily than competitors.
- Agnostic smart contract language, allowing for smart contract developers to use existing mainstream programming languages, which allows for cheaper smart contract implementation as compared to Ethereum who’s proprietary smart contract language, Solidity, can be a barrier to integration.
NEO is best acquired through Binance. Storing NEO on the Binance exchange will result in a GAS distribution once a month on the first. We recommend the NEON wallet for safe storage. GAS will be distributed on the NEON wallet daily.
WaltonChain ($WTC) is classified as a Dividend and Utility coin. Waltonchain is on the cutting edge of using RFID hardware to enable supply chain management 2.0. We believe Walton has the potential to become a dominant IoT blockchain solution Waltonchain is the only truly decentralized platform combining blockchain with the Internet of Things (IoT) via patent pending RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology. The custom RFID chips are able to digitally sign and verify transactions at the integrated circuit level, automatically and instantly reading and writing data to the chain without human intervention. This unique implementation of blockchain + IoT facilitates the true interconnection of all things in the real world with the virtual world, creating a genuine, trustworthy and traceable business ecosystem with complete data sharing and absolute information transparency. Walton has two major competitive advantages:
- A recently confirmed (to be signed) partnership with China Mobile’s IoT Alliance. China Mobile is the largest mobile telecommunications service in the world as well as the world’s largest mobile phone operator by total number of subscribers. Walton’s Management system is set to be implemented through mobile communication networks, and China Mobile is the largest one. Waltonchain is positioning themselves to be the single connector of the entire Internet of Things initiative put forward by the China Mobile IoT Alliance.
- They implement the blockchain through the RFIDs at the foundational layer. Their technology is patent-pending and gives Waltonchain a solid claim as the only blockchain that connects the physical world with the virtual world with truly reliable data. This is because all other IoT solutions tag items through API, and this means all the data is first passed through a centralized intermediate, a potential point of vulnerability.
Ethereum ($ETH) is an open blockchain Platform that lets anyone build and use decentralized applications that run on blockchain technology. Like Bitcoin, no one controls or owns Ethereum – it is an open-source project built by many people around the world. But unlike the Bitcoin protocol, Ethereum was designed to be adaptable and flexible. It is easy to create new applications on the Ethereum platform, and with the Homestead release, it is now safe for anyone to use those applications.
OmiseGO ($OMG) is classified as a Dividend and Utility coin. OmiseGO is a Southeast Asia-based company creating an e-wallet that will make transfer of assets and currencies possible. Merchants and users of the wallet can transfer whatever asset or currency they desire. For example, you could use your ethereum, bitcoin, international fiat, or even your airline points to buy groceries using the e-wallet app on your mobile phone. Transfers can happen across borders, or even while traveling abroad. Unlike Western Union or PayPal for example, the fees are almost negligible, and the transfer is instant. Because it’s based on a blockchain, there are no intermediary banks necessary and users don’t need bank accounts to access those funds. This is especially good for migrant workers who send money home and often don’t have bank accounts and are forced to use expensive wire services instead.
NAVcoin ($NAV) is a Privacy coin with upcoming Platform features. NAVcoin has been around for 3 years. It is not minable, instead being based on a Proof of Stake system in which stakers earn 5% annual returns. Theoretically this means there could be 5% inflation on the supply, however, that would require every coin holder to stake, so likely there will be very marginal inflation between 1 and 3% year over year. It is a currency originally based off of Bitcoin version 0.13, which should tell you it’s got a good foundation from which to build its feature set. Being based off Bitcoin, it currently is a method of transaction, with notable upgrades in the form of Segwit (with possible lightning network integration in the future) and 30 transaction times with extremely marginal fees. That’s great but a lot of coins have that going for them, so thankfully we’re just getting started with the real interesting pieces of NAV. The first and currently only implemented feature, NavTech is a unique dual blockchain technology. Essentially, NAV runs on these two blockchains in order to completely disconnect the sending wallet (your wallet), to the receiving wallet (where the money is getting sent). Think of it like a VPN, NavTech completely strips the sender’s details so the transaction is completely anonymous. The anonymous transaction space has really gotten big lately, with Monero’s recent price action and Ethereum’s implementation of ZKSnarks being two big examples that come to mind.Moving on to the roadmap, there are two big upcoming features for NAV:
- The first is Polymorph, which is a really cool blend of Nav’s anonymous transactions and Changeally’s instant exchange. What this means is that, for example, I wanted to pay someone in Bitcoin but I wanted to do it anonymously. Polymorph would take my bitcoin, turn it into navcoin in order to be processed and sent anonymously using the Navtech dual blockchain, then turned back into bitcoin at the to be sent to the receiving wallet. This will certainly set NAV apart, as it guarantees anonymous transaction for all of the coins on changeally. This is huge for exposure, and a great opportunity for NAVcoin to gain trust, which is absolutely critical anonymous transaction coins.
- The second big upcoming feature is ADApps, or Anonymized Decentralized Apps. This is also a huge potential win for Nav as there is already a huge amount of interest in the crypto space surrounding Dapps, such as Ethereum and Omni. Adding in the anonymous layer would attract projects that would value the anonymity. Nav is still in the planning stages for this project so it could still be awhile before it comes to fruition, but we should see the whitepaper for it soon, and if they could be first to market with ADapps that could prove to be a killer feature for them as it would give them first access to the interested demographics.
Ripple ($XRP) is a real-time Payment protocol for anything of value. It’s a shared public database, with a built-in distributed currency exchange, that operates as the worlds first universal translator for money. Ripple is currency agnostic and has a foreign exchange component built right into the protocol. Ripple acts as a pathfinding algorithm to find the best route for a dollar to become a euro or airline miles to become Bitcoin. It will look at all the orders in the global order book. The case for XRP comes down to the following: 1) Payment systems work best with bridge assets to focus liquidity. 2) There are good reasons to expect a cryptocurrency to be the most popular bridge asset. 3) There are good reasons to expect that cryptocurrency to be XRP.
- Open, decentralized payments will have lots and lots of assets, including national currencies of all kinds and cryptos. A significant fraction of payments will be among assets that aren’t the most popular. Using intermediary assets to settle those payments concentrates liquidity and reduces spreads.
- National currencies are always tied to jurisdictions and can’t be universal. Systems built around them will never be as open and inclusive as systems that aren’t.
- XRP settles faster than any other major crypto. It higher transaction rates than other major cryptos. It is beat by others only by the amount of liquidity available today. And, most importantly, XRP has a company that is devoted to making sure XRP succeeds for this specific use case.
Simply put, ICON ($ICX) is a massive scale blockchain Platform that allows
- Decentralized Application (DAPPS) – Build DAPPS on ICON Platform like on Ethereum and NEO. Yes, soon, you will see ICOs happening on ICON platform for different DAPPS
- Interchain (Interoperability with Blockchains) – Allows different blockchains connecting to one another through their protocol. ICON is fully compatible with traditional blockchains like Bitcoin and Ethereum and in future can bridge other public blockchains such as Qtum, NEO and many others to achieve their mission statement – “Hyperconnect the world”
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) – Use of AI to ensure all nodes contributing to ICON Republic/platform are rewarded fairly and not to have certain powers over distribution policies. AI will continue to learn a variety of variables to determine optimal distribution policies and achieve complete decentralization.
- Decentralized Exchange (DEX) – ICON will integrate different DEX protocols on their platform to facilitate exchange of ICX and other future ICON platform currencies. Bancor protocol will be their first DEX protocol when mainent launches this month end and Kyber and others will follow. Not just throwing Kyber’s name out there, it was confirmed they are working with each other, official partnership yet to be announced.
Fundamental Currency Research
In this section we’ll feature a daily ICO or new coin we think you should check out. Based on your country, you may not be able to participate in the ICO, but you will be able to trade the coin once it is listed on an exchange following its ICO (usually only a couple of weeks). ICOs are where a lot of money in crypto is made. Here’s proof. That said, we should warn you: ICOs are highly risky endeavours and you need to mitigate any potential losses. Treat it as money you’ve lost the moment you contribute to the ICO. We are not responsible for the ICO’s performance. Today’s featured ICO / New Coin is:
For flipping Neutral.
For long-term holding Neutral.
What is it?
With MoneyToken, there’s no reason to sell your BTC when you need cash or stable currency. MoneyToken provides crypto-backed loans, stablecoin MTC and a decentralized exchange service.
What is our verdict?
What we like: Working product and needed in the space
What we don’t like: Roger Ver as an advisor, lightweight whitepaper, needs to better distinguish itself and not use Tether
Today Payfair (PFR) went live allowing anyone to buy and sell crypto tokens and exchange for cash via direct p2p exchange – all secured via a decentralized escrow system.
Check it out here!: https://payfair.io/
Additionally, for those who have 10,000 PFR, you can set up a trust node in order to earn 0.8% of the daily trading fees!
Follow this simple guide to set up your trust node!
Technical Analysis Research
Most crypto markets that we follow are seeing “range contraction” after three very good weeks, which is precisely what I want to see to support future gains. Range contraction leads to Range Expansion – so which way will the price “expand” to? We don’t know yet, although trends tend to keep going in the direction that they come from. I want to be patient to wait for the next high-energy consolidation, and then try to anticipate the next break. Just be aware that the next “break” could come to the downside as the Weekly chart is still in a downtrend and exerts more power than the daily. No swing trades for today.
Here are the recent swings that we’re tracking in the portfolio below:
- WTC/BTC – Long @ .00155980BTC (4/23). My target exit is at .002BTC. Doing just fine.
Please keep in mind that if you want to follow these trades, I am using FIXED RISK POSITION SIZING. This means that I am using a fixed amount of risk capital that is based on my account size, like 2%. I am assuming that the trade will burn to the ground and that I will lose that entire capital position! Only in this manner can one effectively manage a position the way that you have to. If you’ve every checked your blockfolio nervously every 5 minutes when you’re underwater, this will prevent that. I will track these positions in this area and not in the main portfolio section. I will use a public portfolio tool to do so, which you can access by clicking below:
If you missed my earlier webinar, “More Profits in 2018; Ten Ways to Chart Like a Pro.” then you can catch the replay here. My new class “Introduction to Technical Analysis” is now available via our online store.
If you go to buy any of our courses at our online “store” you can receive $10 off the $59 street price with your member’s “coupon code” of member18crypto..
Coinigy is a great tool for determining prices on each exchange, however I may not have access to the full suite of tools on TradingView charts. I am currently not using it as a front-end GUI for my exchanges, which it supports.I also use Blockfolio to give me a quick snapshot of my holdings, and find that it does an excellent job to aggregate all of my holdings into one easy-to-read snapshot of my cryptocurrencies, which are typically located in many different places.
I am also trialing the Profit Trailer and CryptoHopper trading apps which are working well in this choppy market.